9.22.2011

totally logical fear

Confession: I'm terrified of alligators/crocodiles
like I can't stand to look at them and had nightmares until I was like 15 that I was going to be eaten to death by one at night
I don't stick my leg off this edge of my bed for this exact reason, it would totally be chomped off by an alligator. 

I have started watching Swamp People and I'm a little sad that new episodes are not currently airing. I watched it for the first time while at the beach (where alligators are EVERYWHERE) because my parents made me. They hoped that it would help me get over my fears. So now I can stand to watch them on this show but I still know that my tombstone is going to read "death by alligator"
We took a trip to Florida (land of glitter (gross) and gators) in March and May of 2010. The trip in May of 2010 was to celebrate my graduation from Clemson. So naturally when my brother wanted to go to the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine, we did. I stood at the entrance for 20 minutes unable to move and at this time my mom decided that maybe this wasn't such a good idea (ya think?)
this sign was everywhere. I decided any one who needed to be reminded that alligators can bite was stupid. and seriously I don't think this is a place to bring your children too, unless you want them to have nightmares.
see that long bridge...yup walked down and back with my mom. I thought FOR SURE that the water below me was definitely going to be my watery grave. While walking across the bridge, a bird landed near some alligators and they all moved super fast to attack it. I most definitely did not have a major panic attack on the bridge and have multiple people look at me like I was crazy. I'm also only slightly terrified while having my picture taken.

and the trainer girl who most certainly had a death wish. There is nothing in the world that is worth me standing where she is. Just looking at this picture makes me wonder if she's still alive.

So now you know that I'm pretty scared of alligators. I've gotten a lot better, which might seem hard to believe. Life lesson for parents: don't take your 5 year old daughter on a marsh walk where the guide talks about alligators and how fast they can move and to run in a zig-zag to make it. Also don't let her older cousins tell her that there all alligators in the lake and use every floating log off in the distance to persuade her. It might seem like a minor issue at the time but 15 years later you'll threaten her with therapy for her weird (to you) fear of alligators. 

No comments:

Post a Comment