9.23.2011

C-L-E-M-S-O-N

Clemson is one of my most favorite places ever. I really am so lucky to have been able to attend Clemson for 5 years of college and receive 2 degrees from such a great university. Clemson has a beautiful campus that is a lot easier to enjoy when your not hiking up the steepest hill ever with a backpack on in 110 degree weather. Regardless, I LOVED my time at Clemson and I'm so lucky that my parents have season football tickets so I still get to experience some magic on Saturdays. I'm hoping that I'll get to attend a few baseball games this spring too. Go Tigers!!
There is something in these hills that brings together and binds together and holds together men and women of all persuasions, of all heights, sizes, weights, and cultural backgrounds - something that cuts across every difference, spans every gap, penetrates every wall - something that makes a man or a woman stand taller, feel better and say with a high pride to all within earshot, "I went to Clemson."


There's something in these hills that has touched every one of them, something that has rubbed off on them in varying degrees, something that has built within the breasts of all Clemson men and women an enduring spark akin to an eternal pride.

I have my names and I see once more the faces and feel again the beloved personalities that go with them. If you will but close your eyes and drift awhile you too will recall the names and faces and personalities of those who meant the most to you while the privilege of being among them was yours.
(above three quotes came from here)

"I love this place...I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die, up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays. Then I won't have to go to heaven; I'll already be there." Frank Howard.
"I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong (his defensive coordinator at the time and now head coach at Louisville) responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.” -Urban Meyer after this weekend in Clemson

If you’re anything like me, you probably didn’t realize how many of these moments you took for granted until recently. Looking back, it’s strange to think about how many things I’ve become so easily accustomed to — and how many of those things won’t happen ever again. It won’t be long before the chimes from the Tillman bells no longer accompany my daily walk. Two weeks from now, it will be unacceptable to “take the day off” and spend it laying by the pool, or throwing a Frisbee, or hitting a volleyball around. Soon, Thursdays will be just another day of the week; no longer will they be spent at Loose Change celebrating the beginning of the weekend. And for the first time in four years, there won’t be those seven Saturdays this fall comprised of tailgates, The Rock, the Cadence Count or Death Valley. It’s these things — the simplest of memories — that make Clemson special. (found here)

No comments:

Post a Comment