9.11.2011

my birthday and 9-11

   So today I turn 23.   
   Yup today, on the tenth anniversary of 9-11, I turn 23. And yup that means that I turned 13 on 9-11. When people ask do you remember what you were doing on 9-11, I definitely do. I was in 8th grade and found out what had happened when I got to second period (art). I think that at 13 I didn't really understand what had happened and how it would change things. But really I'm not sure that my 23 year old self could understand it any better. It really is so weird to think that it has been 10 years since 9-11. And I don't really know what else to say about 9-11. I know that now when I tell people my birthday, they always give me a second glance. I mean it's not like I'm lying about when I was born or anything. 
   I can honestly say that I'm not where I thought I'd be on my 23rd birthday and tenth anniversary of 9-11. If you would have told 13 year old me that I would have my Masters in Accounting, she would have thought you were crazy. (okay the 23 year old me thinks that's kind of crazy too so...) But if 13 year old me knew that she would go to college for 5 years (yay Clemson!) and not have real boyfriend she would never believe that...or she might cry. (again the 23 year old me might cry too...) The 13 year old me would expect to be engaged, if not married, and to already have a job and be living in the "grown-up world" not just kind of floating through life. Then I would hope that the 13 year old me would realize that the job search is on and (hopefully, really really hopefully) I'll have one soon. And that not dating anyone in college really isn't the end of the world. Because being an individual and different instead of just doing what everyone else is doing, is really a fantastic thing. And yes it's totally not the easy road, but it's certainly the right road for that 13 year old to take.  I really would want 13 year old me to be happy with where she'll be in 10 years, even if it's not where she expected at all. 
   That's not to say that the 23 year old me isn't hoping for the same things for 24 (or 25, whatever) year old me. I think that now I realize getting married is so much more than just finding someone who you like and who likes you back, a concept that 13 year old me probably knew but really what 13 year old has a solid grasp on what marriage is. (okay 23 year old me probably has a lot to learn on the topic too, but she's a little more equipped than the 13 year old version) 
   So I am eager to see what the next year holds for me. I know this past one has been quite a ride, full of great ups and downs. But ultimately I'm a pretty happy girl and this next year might just be the best one yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment