9.28.2011

A Letter to me at 15


{I know some of this stuff may have already been discussed on my blog…but some things are just worth repeating}

So 15 years old…high school can be a not so great time. However I know that I loved it. The classes were challenging yet fun but more importantly I had the greatest friends. Don’t ever take those friends for granted. You have no idea how much you’re going to miss them and how much they have truly impacted you.
Youth group can be a difficult trip sometimes but you’ll always be glad that you went. It’s okay for you to have different opinions than the others; it’s even okay to have a differing opinion from your youth minister. However there are probably more tactful ways to explain your side. I’d like to say you’ve gotten a little better with this but that still remains to be seen.
At 15 you have all kinds of lofty dreams and expectations for your future. AND THAT IS AWESOME. A little ambition never hurt anyone. I will say that everything you thought you wanted for your future radically changes your freshman year in college. I’m pretty sure that this happens for most people but you, of course, thought you had it all figured out already. But that’s okay; you have learned to roll with the punches a little bit more. Oh but don’t worry, you definitely still want everything to happen according to your plan. Naturally this doesn’t happen that often and the unexpected still kinda (really) bothers you.
I’d like to tell you that everything is exactly like you pictured. That’s not the case but your life is still pretty cool. You have learned a little more to trust in God’s plan, rather than your own but that’s still a pretty tough thing for you to grasp most of the time.
Sometimes you might think that it would be SO MUCH easier to just do what everyone else is doing and forget everything you know in your heart. That’s never a good idea; by the way, to go against what you truly know is right. You might have more friends if you just went with the flow but keep in mind what kind of friends they would truly be. Also remember the type of boys that are attracted to those kinds of girls. You’ll never regret saving anything for the boy you marry (I heard this somewhere and I’m just assuming that it’s true…but I honestly think it is).
I wish I could tell you that you’ve got it all figured out but you so totally do not. And as much as it upsets 15 year old you to not understand, it bothers the 23 year old you EVEN MORE.
Are there things I wish 15 year old me could do differently when she gets to college. FOR SURE. Sometimes I’m certain I made the wrong choice about college. Like if I would have just gone to Harding (or somewhere else) everything would be different. And that’s true, things would be different but that doesn’t mean they would be a better-different. So no, I’m ultimately happy that I went to Clemson. It was a great 5 years of my life and I know that no other college experience could compare to what I had at Clemson. But there are things I would do differently at Clemson. Some of them relate to sticking with accounting (turns out dad did know best) and trying really hard for an internship (turns out they do normally turn into a full-time job offer). But I would super-duper encourage involvement in a church. I totally did this for 4 years but I would do it all differently if I could go back. I wouldn’t be so stuck in the type of church I wanted to attend but rather try and find a great girls Bible study. Try and be more involved in a variety of church and bible study activities. There are some great friendships to be found in those and I SO WISH that I had taken advantage of all of those opportunities.
So enough with the minor regrets…Enjoy high school because college is different (but still great) and one day you’ll so be wishing you could go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment