10.02.2012

Fan or Follower {week one}


Sunday evening, my small group started a study following the book, Not a Fan (written by Kyle Idleman). The basis of the study is to help show you whether you are a follower or just a fan of Jesus.
I think this is going to be a very eye-opening study and something that will definitely make me think about things in a different light. The main idea of this first week was that we needed to have a DTR moment with Jesus. A DTR {define the relationship} talk is vital in every relationship if things are ever going to progress. I have to admit that when this term was first used, all I could think about was a scene from How I Met your Mother. {Lily locks Barney & Robin in a room because they refuse to define their relationship and Lily thinks that they need to} Once I moved on from that thought, I realized how true this is. I really do need to define my relationship…because I think just saying I’m a Christian and that I believe, doesn’t really seem adequate enough. So currently, I’m working on this.
The fan or follower concept was related to a football game. Kyle made a comparison that I thought was extremely thought provoking. He said that he wondered how many church sanctuaries have turned into stadiums, full of just fans.
So I’ve been thinking about where I stand on the fan or follower question…and I’m still thinking on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment