6.13.2011

Untitled...

Last summer I had some a lot more free time than this summer so I did some reading. I ordered a variety of books from Amazon and one of them was No Sex in the City. I only ended up buying this one because it was a suggested buy based on some of my other books. Anyways, my favorite chapter in the book is Girls Gone Crazy? I have not really looked at this book but last night I decided to get it out and reread some parts I had previously marked. This led me to some parts that I wanted to write about here because they were a great reminder to me and I want to remember that. The Girls Gone Crazy? chapter focuses on reasons that the author has heard as to why she is still single and her explanations as to why she doesn't accept those reasons. 


1) Your standards are too high: I liked how she argues that men justify their behavior by the fact that women have lowered their standards and not raised them. I've never actually had anyone tell me that my standards were too high but I've also never seriously discussed them with someone. I mean I talked about them when I was in the eighth grade but they have kind of evolved since then and I'm pretty sure they are a little better and appropriate now. But I think that writing them at such a young (?) age was a great thing to encourage. 


2) You are too intimidating: I have to admit that this could quite possibly be one of the things I related to most in this book. I've actually been told this on more than one occasion by few people. I've been a part of a college group at my home church the past few summers. This is where I first heard someone tell me this. It was funny at first. But then I realized that it was kind of true. This college group was made up of a lot of guys (and girls) who weren't really in school. They were all working, mainly with someone who also attended church (and is the person who told me that I'm intimidating...ha). And I think that this was part of the problem. I was in college and in love with it. I knew what I wanted to do with my life (funny to think about that now...) and wasn't apologetic for appearing to have it all together. After a devo one night, I remember talking to the older adult who was working with the group and that's when he told me that I was intimidating. At first I was kind of shocked, but then the more I thought about it the more I accepted it and realized how true it was. I never really considered this to be an issue and I still don't really. I guess I just feel like there are certain things on my list that would cancel out the "intimidation factor." I think my favorite part about the book was how the author completely wrote off the intimidation factor to say that maybe she does intimidate guys but that the right one won't feel that way. 


3) He'll come when you least expect it: I think this might be the section that I laughed most while reading. The author compares this idea to waiting for a trip to Disney. Whether she thought about the trip or not, each day was still 24 hours long no matter what. 


She lists other reasons but these were the three that I liked and related to the best. While rereading this chapter last night, I was really glad that I had marked these three reasons. I like to go back and reread things that I have previously highlighted/flagged and try and figure out why I thought it was so important when I first read it. It was easy for me to realize why I thought this would be a good reminder, something to flip to easily when I need a reminder. Or when I'm trying to avoid schoolwork. So really this post is really just a combination of both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment